In the preparation of the Specification were involved Con terra consultants, members of the Working Group on Technical Standards of the NSDI, NSDI Sector of SGA and all interested parties through a public call published on the website of the NSDI (https://www.nipp.hr ). On the web site was published version of the document working version with an invitation to all interested parties to give their suggestions, comments, and observations on the development of the document. From the same web pages can be downloaded the final, official version of the NSDI Metadata Specification (version 1.0) (https://www.nipp.hr/default.aspx?id=11) and the decision of the Director to put it into the official use.
NSDI Metadata Specification is made in accordance with international and national standards:
- EN ISO 19115:2005, Geographic information – Metadata,
- ISO 19115/Cor.1:2006, Geographic information – Metadata, Technical Corrigendum,
- ISO 19119:2005, Geographic information – Services,
- ISO 19119:2005/Amd 1:2008, Extensions of the service metadata model,
- EN ISO 19108:2005, Geographic information – Temporal Schema 2,
- ISO 639-2, Codes for the representation of names of languages - Part 2: Alpha-3 codeda control,
- ISO 8601, Data elements and interchange formats - Information interchange - Representation of dates and times,
- ISO/TS 19139:2007, Geographic information - Metadata – XML Schema Implementation,
- CSW2 AP ISO, OpenGIS Catalogue Services Specification 2.0.2 - ISO Metadata Application Profile, Version 1.0.0, OGC 07-045, 2007,
- Implementing rules for metadata, Decision on the establishment of norms and standards for data exchange, ref. no.: 5030120-10-1, August 2010 (NN102/2010)
- INSPIRE Metadata Implementing Rules: Technical Guidelines based on EN ISO 19115 and EN ISO 19119, Version 1.2,
- IETF RFC 1738: Uniform Resource Locators (URL), December 1994.
NSDI Metadata Specification defines metadata and their elements that should be fulfill by the dataset, collection of datasets and services of the Croatian NSDI.